So, when Eli was born we were really hoping he wasn't jaundiced, as Lucy was and we had to keep her on a light bed for a few days and it was miserable. No such luck! The second day in the hospital we noticed he looked a little yellow. We asked for an early test (they usually do it on the 3rd day) and they took his blood and sent it to the lab. Well, a nurse came into our room a little while later and said the lab lost the test and they needed to take more blood. So, the took his blood and sent it to the lab. Well, low and behold, they found the first test and gave us the results, he was in the low level and we just needed to recheck him in 48 hours. When we discharged from the hospital we thought we were in the clear. He was nursing great, although it was incredibly painful. We took him to the Doctor on 48 hours later for a check up and billibubin test. The Doctor said he looked good and they would call us later with the results of the test, but that it would probably be okay. We went to Target on the way home (total nightmare) and we got home, put Lucy down and I was going to take a nap. Then, I get a call from Eli's Doctor, the ACTUAL Doctor, not the nurse. I knew we were doomed. He said that the results came back and his levels were really high and he had to be readmitted to the hospital. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The Doctor asked me how fast we could get Eli to the hospital, which really freaked me out. I told him we would leave immediately. What is worse, is that the 2nd test they took when we were at the hospital was high too, but they never gave us the results because they found the 1st test. If only!! Lucy was napping so our wonderful neighbor, Caroline, came right over and we took Eli to the hospital. When we got there they gave us a room and they tried to get blood from Eli for tests and such. He was so dehydrated that they couldn't get blood. This was devastating for me to hear as I had been nursing him like crazy for five days. For over four hours they tried to get blood from him from various parts of his body. The started an IV on him and gave him fluids to rehydrate him. They gave up trying to get blood for the time being and got him ready to put on the light bed. The light bed was intense, it had lights on top, bottom, sides and a spotlight on his chest. He had to wear a mask to protect his eyes. He actually wasn't fussy on the bed. I think it was nice and warm and cozy, so he just slept. He would only cry when he wanted to eat or needed to be changed. The nice thing was that I got to stay with him. Because he was so dehydrated the Doctor wanted me to start pumping and feeding him a bottle to ensure he was getting enough to eat. This was stressful for me as I really want to nurse him, but I just wanted him to get better so I tried to put my fears aside for the moment. Because I am a nursing mom the hospital provided all meals while I was staying with Eli, which was really nice. It was like I was in the hospital again too, the nurses were so accommodating. That night I actually got a lot of sleep because I would get up to pump and feed him a bottle and then go back to sleep. The next day they took another test, but it wasn't low enough to go home. Scott brought Lucy to the hospital and I was so glad he did because I missed Lucy so bad. We had only been home from the hospital for 2 days when I had to go back. She was so cute. She loved playing in the closet, watching Dora, eating treats and drinking from my big cup of water. When they left I was so sad, but my mom came and had lunch with me so that was awesome. Later in the day, they took more blood and test his levels. Around 4pm they let me know we could go home! He just needed to be on a light 'wand' at home, which wasn't bad because it fit right into his onesie and didn't impede him at all. I'm so glad to be home! Eli's billirubin levels are going down very slowly. After a few days on the light 'wand' his levels had only gone down a little. The Doctor had us start feeding him every two hours to flush him out. His levels are finally low enough where we can get back to normal. I started nursing him again yesterday and he did great! I was scared this past week he wouldn't nurse again, because I had so much trouble with Lucy, but he is doing well. I'm still struggling to find some normalcy. Scott went back to work yesterday and today was my first day on my own, although Marye and her kiddos came to keep us company and help me around the house. During this past few weeks I'm grateful for so many things, but to name a few 1) friends, family and neighbors who have helped us out so much 2)health insurance and modern medicine and 3)my Heavenly Father. It has been a hard adjustment this past week and at times, I don't know how I'm going to do it. My Heavenly Father has helped me every step of the way. I'm so blessed to have my two babies and my wonderful husband. Scott has been my rock! THANK YOU so much to everyone who has helped us; with meals, kind words, with friendship and whatever else.













1 comment:
He is so adorable. I'm glad he is feeling all better and that we were finally able to meet him!!!
Post a Comment